Defeating Self-Sabotage


               I’ve always started an idea out strong. I have everything figured out to the last detail. I start off with great energy and commitment, but as everyone knows…things don’t go as planned. For example, I always am able to get down to 185, but I have yet to see 184 since I have started my journey. There will be many of those numbers that I will see over this year. Whenever this happens, I am tired that the energy, effort, and planning don’t equal instant success. Here are a few things I am learning to combat self-sabotage.



1.       Make short-term sacrifices for long term goals.

I LOVE FOOD. I love to cook. I find it relaxing and I have an active social life, including date nights with my husband, and that includes a lot of eating out. I’ve decided that I can put aside my culinary skills for a short time to break that number and follow a meal plan that has been set out for me. I will be able to cook again once I’ve reached my goal weight and I have the task of learning to maintain my weight. Also learning to sacrifice the latest and greatest restaurant in my area for date nights and social events, instead going out for physical activities or inviting them to my home where it is a more controlled environment.


2.       Know yourself

Everyone should be aware of their shortcomings. No one should focus on them, but should be aware of them. For some reason, my shortcomings usually come out on a Thursday. Thursday has always been a tough day for me. My week always starts of strong, but by Thursday I am tired of trying and then it starts a tailspin into the weekend. There are always ways to combat your shortcomings. I’ve come to start pre-prepping my Thursday meals on Wednesday, so there is less of a chance to get lazy on Thursday.



3.       Learn to do



This morning was hard to be motivated to workout. I am doing the Beachbody on Demand and starting with Core de Force. It is an amazing program and really feel excited to workout. However, today’s program was all about strength and I was dreading it because it is my weakest area. I have no upper arm strength and there is a version of a push-up in almost every round of the twelve rounds. Even with the modified push-up, I couldn’t do it. I wanted to give up. My body was cold and I knew I was burning fat. I got half-way through and thought this should be enough for today. Instead I started to re-focus myself. I had to keep telling myself that even if I can’t do it, I need to be doing something. On those days, you really don’t want to work out. Do something fun and simple. Take a walk with an audiobook or grab your significant other and go out dancing. Start doing something. Eventually, you can talk yourself into saying “I’ve started, now I can go a little bit further.” There will be days when you can’t run marathons or make it to the bell, but on those days you can feel good that you didn’t quit and you did something and on the next day you are ready to hit the workout harder.





Any other ideas on how you keep yourself on track and pushing through?


Comments

Popular Posts